Walt Disney World attracts millions of visitors each year, from Florida residents who take advantage of discount Disney World tickets to foreign and domestic travelers enjoying their first trip to the House of Mouse throughDisney World vacation packages. Veteran Disney World visitors pride themselves on finding “hidden Mickeys” throughout the park, and are always up to date on the newest live performances and the latest ride refurbishments. With so much to see and do at Walt Disney World, it’s never the same trip twice. Whether it is your first or your fiftieth trip, here are a few tips to make your stay at “The Happiest Place on Earth” even more enjoyable.
Top 10 Walt Disney World Tips and Tricks
- The peak periods for visitors are during Spring Break, Summer Break and the holidays. Be prepared to wait in long lines at Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach water parks between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Early May and late September will be just as hot and with much shorter lines.
- Use Disney’s Fast Pass to cut down your wait time at Walt Disney World’s most popular rides, especially the newly renovated Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom, Test Track at Epcot, Tower of Terror at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and Expedition Everest at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
- Call 407-WDW-DINE up to 180 days in advance to make reservations for any of Walt Disney World’s full service restaurants. Among the most popular are Cinderella’s Royal Table and Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom, which both feature Disney character dining; The Brown Derby at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and any of the restaurants in the World Showcase area of Epcot.
- Food and drinks are plentiful at the Disney World theme park, but quenching your thirst in the Central Florida heat can add up. Bring a water bottle that you can refill at one of the many water fountains located throughout the parks.
- Want to sample some authentic Walt Disney World cuisine without making a reservation? Try a smoked turkey leg or a Mickey Mouse premium ice cream bar, which are available at all of the Disney World theme parks and water parks.
- Line up early for the Disney parades (about 20 minutes ahead of the scheduled time) and position yourself towards the beginning of the parade route, so can break away and enjoy the park before the rest of the crowd disperses.
- If you’ve seen enough Disney parades during your trip, take advantage of the parade time to get in line for some of the more popular rides at Magic Kingdom, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.
- If you think you’ll need a stroller for your toddler or preschooler, bring it. Walt Disney World does offer stroller rentals, but you can save some money by bringing your own. Also remember to bring your own camera and sunscreen, unless you want to pay Disney World prices for these items at one of the parks.
- The off-peak period at Walt Disney World has some of Disney’s best festivals: Epcot’s International Flower and Garden Show during the spring and the Epcot’s Food and Wine Festival in the fall, Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (usually in May and June), and Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween at Magic Kingdom, which requires a separate admission.
- There is no admission or parking fee to get into Downtown Disney, which has plenty of dining, shopping and entertainment venues, including the Disney Quest indoor interactive amusement park and the only Orlando performances of Cirque du Soleil.
With four theme parks, two water parks, 20 resort hotels, eight golf courses, the Downtown Disney shopping, dining and entertainment complex, the Wide World of Sports and the Walt Disney World Speedway, it’s no wonder that Walt Disney World is one of the most popular travel destinations in the world. Guests who stay at one of the Walt Disney World resorts can get transportation from their hotel to any of the parks and save the cost of a rental car, and nearby Disney Good Neighbor Hotels often have shuttle service to Walt Disney World and other Orlando area attractions. By following these top 10 tips and tricks, your next trip to Walt Disney World can be anything you want it to be.